Russia claim nearly 700 extra fighters have surrendered at the Steelworks in Mariupol

On Wednesday Russia stated that nearly 700 extra fighters had given up and surrendered in Mariupol after Kyiv told them to stand down.

Russia claim nearly 700 extra fighters have surrendered at the Steelworks in Mariupol

Reports from a Pro-Russian separatist leader also claimed that Ukrainian commanders were still in tunnels beneath the steelworks in Azovstal.

The fate of the remaining Ukrainian fighters in the plant remains unknown, with Ukrainian officials refusing to discuss the situation due to ongoing talks, saying, “Any information to the public could endanger that process.”

According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, 959 fighters have surrendered and laid down their weapons so far, including the 694 from last night.

Denis Pushilin confirmed to a local news agency, DNA, that commanders were still inside the plant in their last stand.

Ukraine has confirmed 250+ fighters surrendered on Tuesday but hasn’t confirmed how many lay down arms yesterday.

This lack of confirmation is said to be down to a “very fragile set of talks going on today, therefore I cannot say anything more,” said Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boichenko.

The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, the Red Cross, and the UN were also reported to be involved in the talks.

Have your say by leaving a comment.